Table of Contents Hide
When the holiday season arrives, there’s nothing quite like the comforting aroma of gingerbread and the warm hug of a latte. Imagine combining these delightful flavours into a single treat – Gingerbread Latte Cookies. In this article, we’ll guide you through the step-by-step process of creating these delectable cookies that capture the essence of winter in every bite.
To embark on your gingerbread latte cookie journey, gather the following ingredients:
- Ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg
- Espresso or strong coffee
- Unsalted butter
- Brown sugar
- Baking powder
- Vanilla extract
Gingerbread Latte Cookies: Recipe
Preparing the Gingerbread Dough
Combine flour, spices, and baking powder in a bowl. In another bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add in molasses, egg, and vanilla extract. Gradually blend in the dry ingredients to form the dough.
Infusing the Latte Flavor
In a small saucepan, simmer espresso until reduced. Let it cool before adding it to the dough. This step infuses the coffee flavour into your cookies.
Shaping and Baking the Cookies
Roll out the dough and use cookie cutters to create shapes. Bake them until they appear golden brown, and the kitchen is filled with the tempting scent of gingerbread.
The Perfect Icing Drizzle
Mix powdered sugar with a bit of coffee to create a latte-flavoured icing. Drizzle it over the cooled cookies, adding an extra layer of sweetness.
Decorating with Love
Get creative with decorating! Add mini chocolate chips for a latte-like appearance, or use colourful icing to create intricate designs.
Serving and Enjoying
Once the icing has set, your gingerbread latte cookies are ready to be served. Pair them with hot coffee or your favourite latte for the ultimate treat.
Customizing for Your Taste
Experiment with different spices and sweeteners to suit your preferences. Try using chai or matcha for unique variations.
Gingerbread Latte Cookie Variations
You can explore variations like sandwiching two cookies with latte-flavoured cream filling or making mini gingerbread latte cookie bites.
step-by-step guide on how to prepare Gingerbread Latte Cookies
1: Gather Your Ingredients
Collect the necessary ingredients:
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons strong brewed coffee or espresso, cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2: Prepare the Gingerbread Dough
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, ground ginger, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the softened butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add molasses, egg, cooled coffee or espresso, and vanilla extract. Mix until well combined.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing until a dough forms.
3: Chill the Dough
- Divide the dough into two equal portions and shape them into discs.
- Wrap each disc in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or until the dough is firm.
4: Preheat the Oven
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
5: Roll and Cut the Dough
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out one disc of chilled dough to about ¼-inch thickness.
- Use cookie cutters to cut out desired shapes and transfer them to the prepared baking sheets, leaving some space between each cookie.
6: Bake the Cookies
- Bake the cookies in the oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until the edges are slightly golden.
- Remove from the oven and let the cookies cool on the baking sheets for a few minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
7: Prepare the Latte Icing
- In a small bowl, mix 1 cup of powdered sugar with one tablespoon of strong brewed coffee or espresso until smooth. Adjust the consistency by adding more coffee or powdered sugar as needed.
8: Decorate the Cookies
- Drizzle the latte icing over the cooled cookies using a spoon or a piping bag.
- sprinkle mini chocolate chips on top to resemble coffee beans.
9: Enjoy Your Gingerbread Latte Cookies
- Once the icing has set, your gingerbread latte cookies are ready to enjoy!
- Pair them with hot coffee or your favourite latte for a cozy treat.
10: Store the Cookies
- Store the cookies in an airtight container at room temperature.
- They can be enjoyed for up to two weeks if they last that long!
Now you have a batch of delicious Gingerbread Latte Cookies that bring together the warmth of gingerbread and the comforting flavour of a latte. Enjoy and share these delightful treats with loved ones!
Creating gingerbread latte cookies is a heartwarming culinary adventure that combines the joy of baking with the comfort of a classic holiday drink. These cookies aren’t just a treat; they’re a memory in the making. So, gather your ingredients, roll up your sleeves, and indulge in the season’s magic with every delicious bite.
Absolutely! Instant coffee works well, too. Ensure it’s dissolved in a small amount of water before adding it to the dough.
While butter contributes to the rich flavour, margarine can be used, but it might alter the taste slightly.
Properly stored in an airtight container, gingerbread latte cookies can stay fresh for up to two weeks.
Place the cookies in a decorative tin or box with parchment paper between layers to prevent sticking.
Yes, you can freeze the dough for up to a month. Thaw it in the refrigerator before rolling and baking.